Mrs. Mogul posts on the following stores that went out of business in what she thinks is due to their poor naming. Candle Store - The Almost Edible Candle Gourmet Shop
Ice Cream Store - The Marble Slab
Pet Store - Doggy Style
Your business name is the most critical piece of your branding. How do you know if your clever name will be worthless or a winner?
Try test marketing with these short questions (with strangers for best results).
1. What images does this name make you think of?
2. What feeling does this name give you?
3. If you purchased something from this store, who would it be for?
4. What product/service do you think this company offers?
5. What if I told you this company sold _________? What do you think now?
An effective brand is congruent with the company purpose. If you find the answers to these questions out of whack, revise your name until it's right. There's a lot at stake - so it's worth the investment.